Sunday, October 2, 2011

MORNING CUP OF COFFEE - OCTOBER 2ND 2011

Good morning everyone and welcome to week number twenty-two of Morning Cup of Coffee.  It has been nearly six months since we began our little weekly conversation.  It started as just something for me to do while I was convalescing and I must say that it really is something that I really look forward to each Sunday morning.  I hope you do to. Again, I want to thank you all for participating.
This is the first weekend of October (Can you believe it?).  I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.  It is October, and that means by the end of this month it will be Halloween and then November and Thanksgiving and….well, let’s not get into that.  I am just not ready for the holiday’s to begin.

Our topic last week was: What is your Priceless Moment?  We had such great responses from everyone that it is really difficult to choose one that stood out.  But, I gotta go with my brother Paul’s posting:

“Now that I have finished my breakfast of eggs, sausage, potatoes, biscuits and bacon (all homemade), I can give my priceless moments. The birth of my three children. Each is unique, bright, creative, and smart (even if I have to pull that off of number three). The day I meant my wife. She stole my heart and soul. She made me realize what life could be with your soul mate. I know there were times when I pushed the bounds of our relationship. We forged thru. The bond we have now is indeed priceless. The third priceless moment is very selfish. The day our beloved mother passed away (Mother's Day), I was able to be there to say goodbye, and tell her how much I loved her. I wanted to thank her for all that she did for us. I know my Mom sacrificed her life for us. She taught us to be strong, productive, caring, responsible adults. Priceless indeed!!!!!!” 

Big bro, there is nothing that I can add.  Excellent!

So, without any further adieu, let’s get to today’s topic.  First the rules:

Rule #1 – Absolutely no politics allowed
Rule #2 – ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS ALLOWED!

With that said, let’s begin.  Take a bite of the pigs-in-a-blanket, and a good long sip of that caffè latte, and let’s get started on this 2nd day of October 2011.

Each generation has a moment which defines it.  But, for each person that moment may be different.  I have spoken to many of the World War II generation (What Tom Brokaw deemed “The Greatest Generation” and I have no argument with that), and they would give differing answers on what moment was the definitive moment of their time.  Some said it was December 7th 1941 – A Date which will live in infamy..” Others have said that it was the day President Roosevelt died.

I grew up during the turbulent 1960s and 70, so there were many events that I can point to.  Of course there were the assassinations of President Kennedy, Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy.  In fact, Robert Kennedy’s assassination occurred just six blocks from my house in 1968.  Woodstock, Kent State, I could go on and on.  Of course the backdrop to that controversial time was the war in Vietnam.  With all of that craziness swirling around during those years, the moment – for me - that really sticks out in my mind that defined the times occurred July 20th 1969.  With the war still raging and civil unrest occurring throughout the United States, NASA sent a three-man crew to land on the moon.  First let me say that I was one of those kids who was a total space geek.  I knew all of the astronauts names, the names of the spacecrafts.  I can remember sitting in the living room and looking at the grainy black & white images of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the surface (with Mike Collins circling in the lunar module).  Like a lot of people, I ran out of the house and looked up to the moon thinking that I could maybe somehow see them.  It was the culmination of ten years of blood, sweat and tears and it ushered in an era of scientific discovery that still reverberates today.  Without the space program, there would be no computers, no cell phones and most importantly, no Velcro (smiles).  In the face of so much uncertainty, a group of brilliant scientists and courageous astronauts did what was unthinkable just a few years earlier.

So, my question this week is: What moment defined your life and times?

Is it the fall of the Berlin Wall?  9/11?  It can be any moment but it has to be your moment.  So, take another bite of the pigs-in-a-blanket and one more sip of the caffe latte and start writing.  Remember as always, have fun with it.

Catch you all on the flipside…..

No comments:

Post a Comment