Sunday, October 23, 2011

MORNING CUP OF COFFEE FOR OCTOBER 23RD 2011

Good morning everyone and welcome to week number twenty-five of Morning Cup of Coffee.  I know that I have thanked all of you for reading and contributing to our little project.  But I really cannot thank you all enough.  I really do enjoy our conversations each week and I am so honored that all of you are giving enough to share your thoughts on MCOC.  All I do is provide the forum.  It is all of you that make MCOC go.
Again, thank you so very much.
I was a bit nervous about last week’s topic.  I was not sure what the response would be because I understand that this was something that could make some a bit uncomfortable.  For those of you who were not with us, the topic was this:
You have a friend. This is not just any friend but a friend that you have been close to for years.  You have vacationed together, shared the ups and downs of your marriage and raising children.  When something happens in your life, your friend is the first person that you call.  While running errands one day, you see the spouse of your friend with another person – showing a great deal of affection.  It is clear that the spouse of your friend is having an affair.
The question is this: 
Do you your friend about what you have seen?
What an amazing group of responses from everyone.  I would suggest you go back are read them all (for they were all great in their own right).  I am going to select Dianna’s post:
My first thought is to approach the spouse of my friend. I would ask if what they are doing is worth losing the marriage they have worked so long and hard to build. I would leave it up to them to tell or not tell the spouse. There would also be the option of stopping the affair and devote themselves back to the spouse and marriage. I would ask them to think it through long and hard. Losing a long term marriage is difficult and lonely.
The reason I like Dianna’s post is because it was really well thought out and did not make judgments.  It was serious but not heavy-handed.
Great post, Dianna!
By the way, Janet asked a question last week:
Question to you, Mr. Glenn: how do you come up with not just the topics each week, but the choice of eateries? I'm amazed.
LOL!!  Well Janet, I am flattered.  Thank you so much for the compliment.  However it really isn’t very amazing.  The topics are something that just kind of pop into my head, or they may come from a version of something that I have experienced (like last week’s topic), or maybe something that I have discussed in the past with friends.  But, I definitely can use some help – I sometimes get a bad case of writers block.  So if any of you has a topic suggestion, please, please let me know.  As far as the food, like most people I really like to eat.  These are just things that I have enjoyed eating in the past.  I really like breakfast and coffee, well I must admit that I am an addict when it comes to java.  Nancy calls me a coffee snob (I wouldn’t go that far), but I really love all different kinds of coffee.  That was a bit of a long winded answer, but there it is.  Again, thanks for the compliment, Janet
Ok, let’s get to today’s topic.  As we do each week, we begin with the rules:
Rule #1 – Absolutely no politics allowed
Rule #2 – ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS ALLOWED!
So, let’s begin.  For breakfast today, let’s go down south.  How about some homemade biscuits, gravy, some ham and grits?  And let’s go simple with a cup of Dunkin’ Doughnuts Coffee.  Take a bite and a sip and let’s get started on this 23rd day of October 2011.
You have a child who has been wonderful.  This child has never given you a minute of trouble.  Your child is a senior in high school and his/her dream is to attend Harvard.  But clearly, you cannot afford to send your child to the school, but you encourage your child to always go for their dreams.  Unbeknownst to you, your child takes a test for a full scholarship to Harvard and passes.  He/she can attend Harvard – the school of their dreams – free of charge.  Later, your child sits down and tells you that through a source, they received a copy of the test about a month ago.  Although the test was not exactly the same, there were enough similarities to make it much easier to pass the test.  Your child tells you, “You have been such a good parent that I did not want you to have to worry about paying for college.  There is no way anyone will find out.  I did this for you.”
So, today’s MCOC question is:
Do you let this go because this is your child’s dream and you would not want to destroy that? 
Or,
Do you tell your child that this is wrong and you cannot accept this scholarship?
Remember, there is no right or wrong answer.  Just a matter of opinion.  So, dig into the biscuits and gravy (can’t you just smell that? Yum), take a nice long sip of the Dunkin Doughnuts coffee and start writing.  Be honest, don’t be shy.  And most of all, have fun with it. 
Catch you all on the flipside…..

No comments:

Post a Comment