Sunday, October 9, 2011

MORNING CUP OF COFFEE FOR OCTOBER 9TH 2011

Good morning everyone and welcome to week number twenty-three of Morning Cup of Coffee.  It is a beautiful fall morning here in SoCal and I sincerely hope this day finds everyone healthy and well.
Our topic last week was: What moment defined your life and times? As is the case each week, the postings were tremendous.  They went deeper than I could have ever imagined.  Here was one from Mary Ready:
 “There are so many events (tragic and miraculous) that have happened during my life time and I can remember where I was and the feelings I was having still to this day. Many have been mentioned (911, Elvis Death, the Challenger Explosion, Katrina, etc…) these events affect all our lives and our country. But the events that are dearest to my heart are:
1) My father’s death – and I do not mean this in a bad way. His death means more to me today then the day he passed. I understand things more clearly now like the beauty of his life and the wonderful memories he gave all of us. And how powerful his presence is still in my life.
2) My relationship with God. It continues to grow in ways I could not have even imagined.
3) The day I meet, fell in love and married my husband. I am a different person than I was before I met him. He has taught me unconditional love between spouses. He has taught me patience and is truly my best friend. Just to name a few things.
4) When I thought we were going to lose our mom. I really felt the road she was on could lead only to one place. Everything within me was tested. I had to relearn to have hope, be strong, let others help and thank God for the people he sent to me to help me along the way. Especially my sister Linda.
So how do I want to be defined in years to come? A Godly woman who loved her parents with all her heart. A woman who adored and respected her husband. A woman who had great friends and family and cared deeply for them all. A woman with no regrets.
Outstanding and heartfelt.  Wonderful posting, Mary!
Ok, let’s get to today’s topic.  As we do each week, we begin with the rules:
Rule #1 – Absolutely no politics allowed
Rule #2 – ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS ALLOWED!
With that said, let’s begin.  Take a bite of the English muffin and a nice satisfying sip of the Colombian blend and let’s get started on this 9th day of October 2011.
Back in week number four of MCOC (when we were just getting started with our little weekly discussion), our topic was What Song Really Does it for You? It was one of our most popular topics to date and the response was amazing.  Like I said at the time, music has the ability to move and effect us in such a profound way.  So, we will go back to the music theme today but the question will be just a bit different.
Songs are powerful.  The music is intoxicating.  But sometimes the thing that absolutely grabs you about a song is its lyrics.  Sometimes they can be powerful.  Sometimes they can provoke thought.  Sometimes – in the words of Paul McCartney – they could be just “Silly Love Songs.”
I have said many times the enormous impact Marvin Gaye’s landmark “What’s Going On” had on me.  The lyrics were so profound and so timely:
 Mother, mother
There's too many of you crying
Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying
You know we've got to find a way
To bring some lovin' here today
Another set of lyrics that I love are from the late, great Curtis Mayfield and his anthem “People Get Ready”:People get ready, there's a train to Jordan
Picking up passengers coast to coast
Faith is the key, open the doors and board them
There's hope for all among those loved the most
There ain't no room for the hopeless sinner whom would hurt all mankind
Just to save his own
Have pity on those whose chances grow thinner
For there is no hiding place against the kingdoms throne

Those are just a couple of lyrics that come to mind that give me chills when I read them.  There are so many more, but it is time for me to turn it over to you.  So, my question this week is: What Song Lyrics Do you Just Love?
It does not have to be serious or thought provoking.  It could be something goofy like Baby Got Back.  As long as it means something to you, anything goes.  So, take another bite of the English Muffin and one more wonderful sip of the Colombian blend and start writing.  Have fun with it and,
Catch you all on the flipside…..

No comments:

Post a Comment