Sunday, November 13, 2011

MORNING CUP OF COFFEE FOR NOVEMBER 13TH 2011

Good morning everyone and welcome to week number twenty-eight of Morning Cup of Coffee.   It was a gray, drizzly Saturday here in SoCal that has given way to a perfectly sunshiny Sunday.  We got some much needed rain here going into the holiday season.  I hope those of you around the country are doing well and enjoying the weekend.  I also want to give a shout out to all of our veterans out there and hope you had a wonderful Veterans Day.  And I sincerely apologize for using the term “Shout out….”
Our discussion last week revolved around this question:
If you could start your life again and if you knew you could devote yourself to any occupation, what would you choose? And further, if the profession is risky, would you take the risk?
Really interesting and thoughtful responses.  The one that I felt was out of the box was this one from Suzanne Benet:
“I would love to have Lyle Spencer's job as a reporter for MLB.com covering Angels baseball. I've thought about starting a regular Angels baseball blog covering behind the scenes information like the best place to sit to catch a foul ball at the stadium or how all the transportation and lodging details are organized for the team by the traveling secretary. I wouldn't just want to recap the game results. Everybody does that. I would need access to people within the Angels organization to really be successful with the type of blog I have in mind.”
Very interesting take, Suzanne.  I say, go ahead and start your blog.  Don’t even think about it. It is so easy these days to begin a blog or website.  I think it’s a great idea.
Ok, let’s get to today’s topic.  As we do each week, we begin with the rules:
Rule #1 – Absolutely no politics allowed
Rule #2 – ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS ALLOWED!
So, let’s begin.  I have given a lot of thought as to what we will have for breakfast today with our Morning Cup of Coffee.  Although I cannot eat this stuff anymore (well, not more than twice a year anyway), I have chosen some good ole artery-hardening chicken fried steak with creamy gravy and some fried potatoes.  We will go a little healthier next week.  Take a long sip of cinnamon latte and let’s get started on this 13th day of November 2011.
 Here is the question:
If you had the opportunity to get a message across to a large group of people, what would your message be?
On the surface it seems simple.  But let’s say you have one shot to get your message across.  What would you like to communicate?
I have given this a great deal of thought and the words that keep coming to mind are “Understanding” and “Compassion.”  When I was younger I must admit that I was – as were many members of my generation – angry.  Angry at everything.  Frustrated with everything.  Angry and frustrated with those who did not see things as we saw them.  Now that I am older and presumably wiser, everything is not black and white as before.  There are gray areas that are not easily definable.  So, those words “Understanding” and “Compassion” are part of my feelings today more than they ever were before.
The message that I would like to get across to a large group is that we as a people need to be more understanding and more compassionate to those around us.  Understanding for those who may not agree with us, but have a valuable opinion that is worth listening to.  Compassion for those who may not be as fortunate as we.  Understanding and compassion for those who have made mistakes (like we all have) and sometimes deserve a second chance.  We are all human beings who are a bit flawed.  Some of us more than others.  But we are humans who need each other and deserve our understanding. 
Now, this is not in all cases,  For instance, I have little patience for certain things - like the news this past week coming out of Penn State University where I have neither compassion nor understanding for the accused and those who participated in the coverup.  But I certainly do for the victims and the university.
Ok, that was a bit long winded but you get the point.  So, what message would you like to get across to a large group of people?  Take your time because this may be more difficult than you think.  Or maybe it was just difficult for me.  Anyway, take a fork full of the chicken fried steak, and a sip of that cinnamon latte and start writing.  Again, there is no right or wrong responses.   Just post your honest opinion.
Catch you all on the flipside…..

2 comments:

  1. Great topic. I would echo your message and add tolerance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is too short. Know what is truly important in your life. Then put all your energy, time and emotions into that. Don't waste your time sweating the small stuff. Because, always know that where there is a true will, you will find a way. If you don't, before you know it, what was was truly important in your life may be gone. And then you'll be wasting your time bemoaning the fact that you didn't appreciate and enjoy the value of what you had.

    ReplyDelete