Sunday, December 11, 2011

MORNING CUP OF COFFEE FOR DECEMBER 11TH 2011

Good morning everyone and welcome to week number thirty-two of Morning Cup of Coffee. Only fourteen more shopping days until Christmas!

The weather here in SoCal has been interesting.  The nights have been freezing (by SoCal standards), where it has gone down to the mid-30s.  But the days have been absolutely beautiful with sunshine and clear skies.  It’s a bit warm and un-winter-like, but beautiful none the less.

As some of you may have read via Facebook, our son Bryan graduated from college yesterday and we had such a wonderful time sharing this moment with him.  It was an amazing day and I want to say one more time congratulations Bryan for a job well done.  

Oh, and another congrats to our friend and occasional contributor Suzanne Benet who after two years of unemploymnet has finally landed a job!

Last week we had some fun talking about Christmas movies.  I found it interesting how much these movies meant to people.  I like this posting from Karin Kefalas:

“ I love A Miracle on 34th Street, the original. My closest friend growing up lost her mother when we were 19. This was a movie that we used to watch with her and it is a tradition that I love to share with my kids. It really shows how much family, of any kind means to each of us. Blood is not the only thing that makes family, love and respect is a stronger bond.” 

Beautifully written Karin.

Alright, let’s get to today’s topic.  Let’s get the rules out of the way first:

Rule #1 – Absolutely no politics allowed
Rule #2 – ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS ALLOWED!

Breakfast this morning is going to be the basic biscuits, gravy eggs and bacon.  For our coffee, let’s have some Sumatra – my favorite dark coffee.  So, take a long sip of the hot Sumatra and let’s get started on this eleventh day of December 2011.

This is the time of year that effects different people in different ways.  For some, Christmas is a joyous time; a time of giving and a time of family.  For others, this is a difficult time.  Especially those who have lost family members and associate this time of year with the loss.

For me, Christmas has always been a fun time.  As a child, our family did not have a whole lot of money, but my parents – especially my mother always tried to provide my brother, sister and I with a nice holiday season (despite that god-awful aluminum tree that we had along with the  requisite color wheel); or 1986 my first as a father; or 2007 – our first after the kids had moved out.  All were special, but if you notice one common thread it is that for me, it always involves family in some way.  It is not about the gifts.  It is about being with the ones that you love and the ones that love you.

So, my question to you is what does this time of year mean to you?  Is it happy?  Is it sad?  Is it stressful or painful.  Let us know.  You are among friends and you will not be criticized. So, take a bite of bacon and take a good long sip of the Sumatra and start sharing your thoughts.  Whatever your feelings are about the holiday season, I guarantee that you will feel better after posting something that is honest and heart-felt. 

Catch you all on the flipside…..

No comments:

Post a Comment